These are 23 stray thoughts I had during the finale, then After Trek, then Lower Decks, presented as if I were live-Tweeting them. I'm posting this because I have no one else to discuss it with and I need to get it out! Lol I apologize in advance. You are under no obligation to reply to any of it.
1) Why is L’Rell’s blood red and not purple?
2) Wait - so did Lorca have a secret life as a drag queen?? Our team’s prepping things for the Orion embassy and Emp. Georgiou says “Gabriel must have found something interesting lying around in this universe,” then BOOM! we cut to Georgiou in a black leather catsuit with cape. Even though it’s the future I dunno if Lorca ever could’ve fit into that (?)
3) Am loving these Orion embassy sets. Disco’s set designers, art directors, even the extras and U/5s all did a fantastic job making this look real.
4) Klingons have two dicks! - YES! Clear my summer schedule, I know where I’m going!
5) Orion slave boys?? Am booking my flight for tomorrow
6) That bald Orion dude vaping with Tilly is… Clint Howard!!! Little Balok from TOS! (“more tranya?”) and other characters from DS9 and “Enterprise!” Now we have officially christened Disco as real Star Trek, haha
7) Okay, me confused: Disco writer Jordon Nardino wrote that Emperor Georgiou pronounced Qo’noS as Kronos out of “cultural chauvinism,” yet Cornwell and Burnham, I believe, are calling it Kronos in this episode, too?
8) They’re overdoing this cannibalism shocktalk.. (or whatever it’s called when one humanoid eats another humanoid regardless of genus-species-race)
9) Loved this “we are Starfleet” speech. At first I thought it was shot a bit cheesy with the crew standing up proud and tall, but then realized they were doing it so that hologram’d Cornwell could see them all there, and see their visual cue of support for Saru’s words. Love that. BUT I’ve decided to withdraw my support for Saru being made permanent captain, because I suddenly remember how he beat the shit out of Burnham and Ash-Voq on Pahvo and never faced a judge for that!
10) Emp. Georgiou’s final choice, and where this show leaves her… I like it! I find it endearing that this Georgiou has developed a weakness (as she’d call it) of compassion for our Burnham, and perhaps a tiny bit for our universe, as well. It’s a great post-script statement about Mirror Universe stories - the same one we saw at the end of TOS’ “Mirror, Mirror” with Mirror Spock - that while we are all subject to our experiences/surroundings, we are also capable of making a conscious change. Don’t ask me why Mirror Georgiou changed in our universe while Mirror Lorca did not - and he spent way more time here - but the ability to change and improve ourselves and our society is a good deal of what Star Trek at its core is about. Is it crazy to let this Georgiou go? Probably, sort of. But Burnham saw enough change in this person, enough to earn Burnham’s trust that she won’t go on a murder spree. Also, even if somehow the Federation could travel back to the Mirror Universe? Then leaving Georgiou there, as I see it, would result in certain death for her. Burnham took responsibility for Emp. Georgiou when she abducted her into our universe. I think she now owed it to this woman to give her a new chance.
11) Omg I love and now trust this fake Ash!!! I feel super guilty for trashing him last week. Those eyes… that kiss… this heartbreak! I will soooo miss you, whatever we should call you! I mean, I get it - he feels he’ll be of best use on Qo’noS making sure L’Rell does what Burnham put her up to do. But still. Sadcakes.
[[[SPOILER FOR S2: On this week's After Trek, the showrunners implied that they will be using Ash-Voq in Season 2. They said that he will find himself in a very difficult position as “the ultimate ex-pat.” Whatevs, as long as Shazad Latif’s warm brown eyes are on my TV screen, I’m good.]]]
12) Wow, so then this ‘Klingon War’ is indeed done - we now know it was merely a seasonal arc, not an entire series arc - and we are already moving into other adventures! Color me excited :) I was hoping for this.
13) Is it just me, or does it seem like the land masses/coastlines of Future Earth have been artificially altered? And man, has Paris way overbuilt the area around the Eiffel Tower, or what? Future-Mayor-of-Paris should be voted out for that.
14) Sad to see we won’t be improving on the basic umbrella for at least 235 years. Then again, our electric toothbrush/oral care advancements are also strangely slow.
15) Aww, is that the real Ash Tyler’s mom Burnham is meeting with?? How swee-- Oh. It’s just Amanda Grayson, the second of Burnham’s four moms…
16) Nice to see Sarek proud of Burnham, but he smiles too much. Guess he’s still thrilled to be out of Sickbay after all those months..
17) Quite surprised Starfleet didn’t formally classify the spore drive as a verboten subject here. Am I the only one terrified at how many people are walking around in this timeline freely blabbing about it, when there is absolutely no mention of it from TOS onward?
18) I knew they'd do it - THE ENTERPRISE, woohoo!!! I'll bet credits to navy beans that it was totally a network exec's decision, I know exactly how they think. They had to do this. But I approve. Loved, loved, loved seeing that ship, hearing Pike's name, and hearing that closing theme song. BUT I am terrified at how they might mangle Spock and his continuity and... okay deep breaths... we can trust these people... have faith of the heart... deep breaths...
And now, After Trek… [[[SPOILERS FOR S2]]]
19) Huh. The showrunners just said to expect part of next season to be about “the collision of science and spirituality.” Paging Green Spore Culber to Sickbay, stat! :D
20) Alex Kurtzman just said that the Discovery’s crossing with the Enterprise will reveal why Spock never mentioned his adoptive sister! My question: how old is Spock here? We now know Burnham is at least a few years older than he is? How old is Burnham?
21) Yum - the Disco prop guy said Burnham and Tilly are played by vegan/vegetarian actors, so the whale meat had to be made from stuff like coconut, and they thought it was delicious, lol
And now, Lower Decks…
22) Great note by Valerie, re:how our Away Team should've been more concerned about being spotted as humans on Qo’noS. Then equally great reply by Glenn, re:how not all humans roaming around the universe are Federation, or even from Earth (e.g. Harry Mudd and family). I predict that’s why the writers came up with this weird Orion embassy concept to begin with; they needed to create a place on Qo’noS where the sight of humans might be possible/ less conspicuous?
23) I agree with Valerie’s point about Emp. Georgiou’s three-way, how it subtly paints homosexuality as a deviance - but I did think Emp. G. was trying to get double the intel, too. I’m gay, and had this series not given us Stamets/Culber, then yes, I’d be up-in-arms about this.
Looking forward to the Lower Decks season 1 wrap-up podcast!